RPG Changes  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Modded or Vanilla?

2. 2. Sci-Fi or Medieval?

• Sci-Fi!
    • Medieval!
    • Other (please specify)

1 post in this topic

Hey guys, just figured I would bring something up to you guys.

For a while, we were planning on having an RPG mode for the relaunch. The idea being that it would be an experience made to be fun with, or without anyone else online. A few weeks back, we made the decision internally to push that mode off from the relaunch and slate it as something to develop post-relaunch, as such a major project would hold up the other developments which, while they will take time, will take nowhere near the time and effort needed to build an RPG world, plugins, quests, and so on.

We have changed our plans once again.

The original idea for the "vanilla" RPG server, along with all the lore and whatnot associated with it has been put on hiatus in favor of a much different RPG mode. The biggest difference is that this mode is being build on modded MC.

I talked with a few staff about this and the thinking behind this is that it allows for a significant amount more flexibility than could ever be hoped for with plugins. With modded, we could literally hire voice actors and record real dialogue for characters during story missions (something we may or may not look into, don't hold your breath).

So far, here is what I can say about this new RPG server:

• It, much like the previous idea, NOT be focused on standard Minecraft building and general survival gameplay
  • It will feature quests, unlockables, and other things of the sort
  • It, unlike the previous idea, be Sci-Fi focused rather than medieval focused
  • It will feature brand new blocks, items, UI, and so much more

I am bringing this up because I am curious to see what you guys think about this decision. As should be obvious by this point and the way things in the past have taken a 180 in the matter of a few seconds, nothing is set in stone. I am aware that by making RPG a modded-only thing, we take a significant hit to the potential player gains - both due to weak player computers as well as the much taller barrier to entry. As easy as Technic is, there are people who just won't bother putting in the time. We plan to have a healthy marketing scheme this time around as well as some promotional material and whatnot to entice players, but it won't be as much as if it was vanilla.

The simple fact is there is a lot that can't be done with plugins alone. You can sort of do things, sure. You can put stained glass panes in a fake chest, all renamed to text of some sort to represent a button. This is probably the most boring and weakest example ever, but that's a simple thing you can't do on vanilla. 3D gun models? Nope, not happening. Advanced quests with waypoints and so on? If only. Custom blocks and textures alongside vanilla blocks? LOL no.

That being said, this is why I said earlier that the previous RPG server has been put on hiatus. It is NOT being cancelled. All of its lore, backstory, and existing builds that have been set for it will remain on the side until the day comes that we may or may not need them. In the offchance that the old idea never gets revisited and this new project is a truly groundbreaking hit, we do plan to have these set in the same sort of universe - just in much different time periods. As such, some builds from that may be utilized in some form or fashion on the new RPG mode.

But I digress, none of this is truly final. You know what that means - poll time (again)! In the poll attached, just tell me: would you prefer a modded or vanilla RPG? Medieval or Sci-Fi? Or if you have anything else to say, or maybe even some ideas, feel free to reply!

Have a good day everyone!