Become a premium member to remove ads
Sign in to follow this  
esponshadow1

Issue with my computer

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

 

Lately I've been having more and more issues with my laptop. It seems when my internet is slow as hell, my laptop is fine. When my internet is working right, my laptop decides to lag and/or freeze.

I've opened up task manager during the times where my computer lags (it takes about a minute for me to open task manager and go to the processes tab and view all of them.) Physical memory usage is usually at 80-100% during these times. I've viewed EVERYTHING there and there isn't any process that uses over 200,000 K of memory (and that process is typically chrome, but even after closing it these issues are still happening.)

 

Here's my question:

Is it possible to fix? What could be the causes? Will I need to wipe my data?

 

Thanks to whoever helps me.

 

~WolfBitez (aka Esponshadow1)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could give Tronscript a shot. It does a lot of things which might improve your performance. From its Wiki: "Tron's goal is to take a badly-running Windows system (bloated, infected, etc) and disinfect it, remove bloatware, and basically get it running well again. That's pretty much it. And at this point it seems to accomplish that goal pretty well."

 

You can see what it does and how to run it on its Github page. Just be sure to run it overnight given that it'll take some time.

 

Our very own @Falkerz has a download mirror for it up: http://nd.in-quest.org/tron/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 16dbaxter said:

have you tried putting a magnet to your HDD. or better buying a new pc. or fresh install?

 

 You probably have a hidden virus

I know putting a magnet to the HDD destroys it.

 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

You could give Tronscript a shot. It does a lot of things which might improve your performance. From its Wiki: "Tron's goal is to take a badly-running Windows system (bloated, infected, etc) and disinfect it, remove bloatware, and basically get it running well again. That's pretty much it. And at this point it seems to accomplish that goal pretty well."

 

You can see what it does and how to run it on its Github page. Just be sure to run it overnight given that it'll take some time.

 

Our very own @Falkerz has a download mirror for it up: http://nd.in-quest.org/tron/

I'll try it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, esponshadow1 said:

I know putting a magnet to the HDD destroys it.

 

We've grown past floppy disks. You'd need a damned strong magnet if you wish to erase your HDD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, esponshadow1 said:

Welp, just finished downloading it with my internet being the way it is.. If it doesn't work I'll just completely reinstall Windows 7 (or possibly Linux, I've heard good things about it.)

 

If you want to get into Linux then hit me up. I'll show you around and help you choose the perfect distro for your needs.
 

As for Tronscript, make sure to run it in safe mode like it says in the instructions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2016 at 7:15 PM, Alex said:

 

If you want to get into Linux then hit me up. I'll show you around and help you choose the perfect distro for your needs.
 

As for Tronscript, make sure to run it in safe mode like it says in the instructions.

What distro do you recommend for gaming? The problem still resides after running it. Not only that but I'm getting tired of Windows 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, esponshadow1 said:

What distro do you recommend for gaming? The problem still resides after running it. Not only that but I'm getting tired of Windows 7.

 

Did you let it complete all the way through? In safe mode?

 

As for Linux distros, there is no "one true gaming distro" given that performance solely depends on your hardware. Although if you're basically looking for 24/7 Steam Big Picture then SteamOS is the thing for you.

 

If you're a newcomer I generally recommend one of the Ubuntu or Mint flavors. Are you a tinkerer that always wants the latest version of available software no matter the consequences? Then pick Arch Linux. Something like Arch but a little more held back? Manjaro!

 

Have a glance at this: https://i.imgur.com/jy1BF.png

 

You should probably check out Ubuntu, Mint or ElementaryOS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@esponshadow1 when running tron, it's best to run in safe mode (not necessarily with networking) and to let it run all the way through. An average run takes several hours to complete, due to how thoroughly tron purges potential viruses, malware, adware, PUPs, telemetry data and junk files from your system.

 

I'd be interested to know which flags you used to run tron (if any) and whether you ran it under safe mode or not. I can't remember if the auto switching to safe mode was implemented in version 9 or not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2016 at 5:17 PM, Falkerz said:

@esponshadow1 when running tron, it's best to run in safe mode (not necessarily with networking) and to let it run all the way through. An average run takes several hours to complete, due to how thoroughly tron purges potential viruses, malware, adware, PUPs, telemetry data and junk files from your system.

 

I'd be interested to know which flags you used to run tron (if any) and whether you ran it under safe mode or not. I can't remember if the auto switching to safe mode was implemented in version 9 or not...

Sorry it took me forever to reply.

 

I was watching my PC as it was scanning (because I had nothing else to do) and during the scan, it froze up. How did I know? During the Malwarebytes scan, the time froze. Nothing progressed. I went to sleep and woke up the next morning, no progress had been made. I turned off my PC and turned it back on. Half of my HDD was corrupted after the reboot. Is there anything I can do about that, or should I just wipe it and install a new OS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, esponshadow1 said:

Sorry it took me forever to reply.

 

I was watching my PC as it was scanning (because I had nothing else to do) and during the scan, it froze up. How did I know? During the Malwarebytes scan, the time froze. Nothing progressed. I went to sleep and woke up the next morning, no progress had been made. I turned off my PC and turned it back on. Half of my HDD was corrupted after the reboot. Is there anything I can do about that, or should I just wipe it and install a new OS?

 

Data recovery is a thing but if your HDD is corrupted and you can't afford recovery then you really don't have much in the way of options. :|

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, haloman30 said:

 

Data recovery is a thing but if your HDD is corrupted and you can't afford recovery then you really don't have much in the way of options. :|

 

That's where you're wrong. There are many great project like G-parted on Linux that allows for easy data recovery.

 

15 hours ago, esponshadow1 said:

Sorry it took me forever to reply.

 

I was watching my PC as it was scanning (because I had nothing else to do) and during the scan, it froze up. How did I know? During the Malwarebytes scan, the time froze. Nothing progressed. I went to sleep and woke up the next morning, no progress had been made. I turned off my PC and turned it back on. Half of my HDD was corrupted after the reboot. Is there anything I can do about that, or should I just wipe it and install a new OS?

 

Installing a fresh OS is never a bad idea. Especially if you had problems before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, esponshadow1 said:

Ok so fresh install of Windows 7, I'm downloading the Linux Mint ISO. Another question about Linux is can I screenrecord/livestream on Twitch? Thats all I'm worrying about as I'm going to start livestreaming sometime in the near future.

 

OBS Studio is one of the best options out there for livestreaming and it's available for Linux. Screenshot tools always come with the desktop environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this