Become a premium member to remove ads
Guest Nik

Future of ND - You decide

11 posts in this topic

Guest Nik

I'm not going to fluff up this post. Just going to cut to the chase.

Our MC had a decent run, but we are still struggling to gain population and momentum. We had plans for advertising and bringing in UHC and another server in order to combat this population issue. However with EULA looming, which goes into effect next august, we are faced with some tough decisions. The following donor perks are being effected by EULA (with our potential fixes in parentheses).

• fly (removing it completely)
  • worldedit (removing it completely)
  • item spawning (removing it completely)
  • kits (everyone gets kit tools, thats it)
  • selective worldguards and plotme (nothing selective, everyone can get unlimited but reasonable worldguards in creative)
  • special donor worlds/areas (will no longer exist)
  • healing and feeding (no one gets it)
  • donor god mode (removing from those ranks applicable)
  • chestshops (everyone gets it)
  • workbench command (everyone gets it)
  • back command (removed from all)
  • ci command (everyone will get self ci in all worlds)
  • repair command (removing from all)
  • ndpoints (can no longer get via donation, only through voting - still unsure if this will be good with EULA)
  • superpickaxe (any donor ranks with it will no longer have it)
  • enchant command (no one gets it)
  • teleporting (everyone gets access to tpa and tptoggle, nothign else)

These are a lot of things that will be effected, and sadly a lot of changes have to be made in order for our server to comply with EULA. I cannot stress that this is something that we deeply hate having to adopt to, but are nevertheless required to do so. According to mojang rank perks cannot effect gameplay.

This brings us to the future of ND. What does it have in store? Well we want to ask everyone in this community that question. Our upper staff have come to an agreement that MC is dying, and mojangs EULA could put the nail in the coffin. We want this community to take the shape that you guys want it to take. Rather than aiming for the masses, we want to set this community up just for us to have fun and enjoy what we are doing.

There are several options that we can look into. My personal favorite is a whitelisted FlansMod or similar mod/modpack server for pure survival and pvp, where there are no ranks, just everyone in faction like teams. FlansMod brings into the game guns, tanks, planes, etc. FlansMod can be set up individually, or we could do the entire Crack Pack, which includes FlansMod and other magica/technic mods. However a large mod pack as such is very resource intensive on the server, and many people may not be able to have a lag free experience just because it might be too intensive on their computers. But just a FlansMod pvp survival server could work. Please take a look at youtube videos highlighting this mod or similar mods. Such a whitelist experience would be similar to the well known private  Mindcrack server. I envision something where there several teams with their own sunforum and a sort of team captain that can draft new applicants to the server, etc. Each team would be fending for themselves, and it would be an interesting experience in my opinion. This is the option that I strongly support.

If we have a whitelisted server, it would be donor only. We would all pitch in to pay for its upkeep. We would not be needing extra money for advertising, just for paying the server bills which would range between 15 to 30 dollars per month, but the cost would be split amongst us. We have a good bit of money to last us a while, but will need to share the cost when that resource becomes exhausted.

We want you guys to respond to this thread with ideas. What should we explore, what all we can do. There are many questions that arise. Should we still keep our current MC going? Despite the low population? Should it remain as a small server running on less ram just for those who really want it still? Is it worth it? What other gaming servers are there that we can enjoy as a group? We aren't to expand into a massive community, we want to have fun. And we want you to help decide the future of this community.

Please feel free to discuss, and trust me when I say this, the decision about the future of Nuclear District will be made for the benefit of the community as a whole, and you have a vital opportunity to weigh in on that decision.

-Nik

I like to go more into fun type instead of trying to aim for masses. Mostly this gaming community is to have fun, not have work and think of it as a job. We can try to play some steam games and possibly some modded MC ones. Really depends on what we all want to try out.

I'm not going to fluff up this post. Just going to cut to the chase.

-Nik

I like to go more into fun type instead of trying to aim for masses. Mostly this gaming community is to have fun, not have work and think of it as a job. We can try to play some steam games and possibly some modded MC ones. Really depends on what we all want to try out.

I would love to have a talk to the two of you as nothing should be removed.... but simply changed.

Remember..... These issues are bumps not walls.

Personally, I think of the whitelisted server for Donors only is a good idea, but eventually Minecraft is going to lose its popularity. But as someone at Mojang stated: "...we don’t want our players to be exploited or to have a frustrating time unless they pay." We don't give them a hard time if they don't pay its paying that makes it fun that you get extra perks. Our server is never hard and Mojang can't change the way we play Minecraft. If anything, I will program my own game that is kind of like Minecraft, but mess around with it a bit so it is legal and Mojang can't sue me. BUT that is if it is official. The old EULA had that info in it, but someone at Mojang, "Grum", pointed out that paying to play was against  the EULA so we can all thank his ***... ♥♥♥♥ you Grum, I hope you got what you wanted. Minecraft is falling. Better games are coming out, we should try to focus on those...  (Edit): Users may keep the perks they’ve paid for on the condition that the same perks are available to other players on the server (directly or purchasable using soft currency). It’s up to the server host to decide how to compensate users for previous transactions.

Personally, I think of the whitelisted server for Donors only is a good idea, but eventually Minecraft is going to lose its popularity. But as someone at Mojang stated: "...we don’t want our players to be exploited or to have a frustrating time unless they pay." We don't give them a hard time if they don't pay its paying that makes it fun that you get extra perks. Our server is never hard and Mojang can't change the way we play Minecraft. If anything, I will program my own game that is kind of like Minecraft, but mess around with it a bit so it is legal and Mojang can't sue me. BUT that is if it is official. The old EULA had that info in it, but someone at Mojang, "Grum", pointed out that paying to play was against  the EULA so we can all thank his ass... Fuck you Grum, I hope you got what you wanted. Minecraft is falling. Better games are coming out, we should try to focus on those...

"Can I charge for access to my server?

Yes. How players join a server is up to you. Single entrance fees or subscriptions are both allowed."

https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation-the-follow-up-qa/

Mind telling me where it's stated that you are unallowed to charge for entrance? Because that's a big deal if it were to be true.

"Can I charge for access to my server?

Yes. How players join a server is up to you. Single entrance fees or subscriptions are both allowed."

https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-server-monetisation-the-follow-up-qa/

Mind telling me where it's stated that you are unallowed to charge for entrance? Because that's a big deal if it were to be true.

It is an option if we can charge for entrance or not. It is up to Nuke to decide on that

I cant believe you actually do this, IMO its all a load of BS. As i said before, there hundreds of MC servers with like 150 people on at a time on avarage and you believe these servers will give up years of development for this crap?

This is all Mojang being greedy assholes. They are releasing REALMS (Mojang hosted MC servers), wich is exactly why they want you to do this. They no longer want you to earn money from their game.

I still stay with my statement: ♥♥♥♥ em. Keep the server as it is and go cracked

I cant believe you actually do this, IMO its all a load of BS. As i said before, there hundreds of MC servers with like 150 people on at a time on avarage and you believe these servers will give up years of development for this crap?

This is all Mojang being greedy assholes. They are releasing REALMS (Mojang hosted MC servers), wich is exactly why they want you to do this. They no longer want you to earn money from their game.

I still stay with my statement: Fuck em. Keep the server as it is and go cracked

Its not just that Mojang is making gay choices and forcing us to change our ranks.

We have not been gaining much population for 4 months. Not trying to complain or anything. All I wanted is to have fun instead of trying to work (like a job) and try to make our current service successful.

Besides, going cracked is currently one of our future options to help improve population. Not 100% for our future of ND plans yet.

This is an interesting time. A friend of mine set up a realms server for me and some IRL friends to play on. It's equivalent (at the moment) of running a vanilla minecraft classic server in the level of control it gives the owner. All they can do is change a persons game mode, and add people to their whitelist. Oh, and you get /whisper. That's it. I've also messed around with a voltz server, but the transition from version 2.x to 3.x removed a lot of stuff, and we didn't have much time to perfect it (we were trying to do a UHC style game in Voltz, but it was such a headache to set up with appropriate plugins to block certain features). The Mojang EULA is complete crap, as the service they offer cannot compete, on level of control, performance, stability or value for money. As a simple tool, it's fine. But it's nothing more, like the rest of the MC community is.

That being said, there are still options. I'm happy to start contributing more again, now that I'm finished at college for the summer, and can try help with testing new things etc as needed. We need a new angle on MC for sure, and we need to build some new pathways for expansion, either as a fun community or a more public one.

Guest Aceeeeee

I am glad you are not looking up to go against Mojang's decisions.
However, they are many ways to counter their new EULA, but at your own risks.
Whatever you do, I'll be there to support with whatever I have.