Become a premium member to remove ads
Guest Spencer

Forum Downtime Explained

15 posts in this topic

Guest Spencer

So for a few hours today I had to bring the forum offline. Members from a competing server managed to gain access to an account with forum moderating capabilities, and they went on a banning & deleting spree, which has caused loss of post data in a few select forums that they attempted to delete everything in.

How did they do this? This was most likely due to the case that the compromised account had the same password as it does on the previous server's forum database. If you are using the same password that you previously did on the old server then I strongly advise you to change it as the data from the previous server is compromised (if you were not a member of that community then you are fine).

I have restored everything that I could, as mentioned previously there is some lost data in a few forums that were targeted. They only managed to deface the forums, so none of your personal data has been affected. If you notice any issues please contact me.

Thank you for understanding.

Guest Pop

'competing server'

Not sure who was affected by this, but I had already changed my password on the competitors site store being banned, and am now changing my password here as well. Always good to be safe.

Guest Cage The Rage

EYYY.

We're back online.

What I collected from ntx2 and spencer is a yet-name-to-be-disclosed person tried to delete the whole forums' directory and contents, according to the driver error I saw. Obviously they failed thanks to the staff.

IPB passwords are encrypted. They probably converted bulletpoint ACII to plaintext ACII.

I also suggest if you have any passwords associated with your email account registered on CU, change that too.

Don't worry if you use the same password for everything - All of unauthorized purchases are reversible. Emails are there for a reason.

Don't forget to eat, sleep, change password , rave, repeat.

-CTE

Guest davidxd33

I'm pretty sure it's against Invision Power Board's terms of policy to use the forum software to gain access to people's private data. 

I'm pretty sure it's against Invision Power Board's terms of policy to use the forum software to gain access to people's private data. 

TO COURT WITH 'EM!

Or atleast make sure IPB will take their license away.

Guest MyHobos

I didn't originally have a huge problem with them running their own crap, but they took it a bit too far this time. There are some lines you can cross, and others you can't.

Guest Orcy

How do you know its them, it could be teddy for all we know.

Guest Orcy

True dat baxter

I'd say we should not lower ourself to their level. We are better than them and we should not interfeer with a non-threat to us.

Guest ☢limeramen22☢

I didn't originally have a huge problem with them running their own crap, but they took it a bit too far this time. There are some lines you can cross, and others you can't.

I'd say we should not lower ourself to their level. We are better than them and we should not interfeer with a non-threat to us.

I agree. But hey, this is what comes from an immature 10 year old running a "competing server".

Somebody's tired. I think someone needs a warm milk out of their sippy cup and a nap in their crib.