Become a premium member to remove ads
Baxman

Upgrading to windows 8

8 posts in this topic

Ok... Guys i am looking to upgrade to windows 8 (I had the windows 8 CD for a while now)
I am Currently Running windows 7 Pro, i am wondering if i could upgrade to windows 8 RT without losing my current "DATA" And Applications?

You're going to need to back up your data if you want to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8. 

And honestly, it's not worth going through all the trouble unless there's features on Windows 8 that you know you want. The layout for everything is meant for a touchscreen, and it gets annoying at times.

You're going to need to back up your data if you want to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8. 

And honestly, it's not worth going through all the trouble unless there's features on Windows 8 that you know you want. The layout for everything is meant for a touchscreen, and it gets annoying at times.

It might boost up my Start up times because it takes 10 mins for my computer to fully function after starting up

It might boost up my Start up times because it takes 10 mins for my computer to fully function after starting up

so buy a 80 dollar ssd and put your os on there.  You could be easily looking at 5 seconds to start up on that ssd. windows 8 just wont improve your start up time like you think. BUT I'd still re install  your os and format your drive as it sounds like you got a ton of bloatware and junk cluttering your drive up. 

so buy a 80 dollar ssd and put your os on there.  You could be easily looking at 5 seconds to start up on that ssd. windows 8 just wont improve your start up time like you think. BUT I'd still re install  your os and format your drive as it sounds like you got a ton of bloatware and junk cluttering your drive up. 

I don't have the money to buy a ssd... And my computer is not cluttered with bloatware lol just school stuff what i clear somtimes

I don't have the money to buy a ssd... And my computer is not cluttered with bloatware lol just school stuff what i clear somtimes

if your pc takes 10 mins to start up its either full of bloatware or you have tons of viruses. Either way you just need to back up your files and format your drive and reload your old os. windows 8 really wont help with that slow speed.

Defo try a defrag of the drive. Sounds like there's a LOT to fix there. Also, how old is the drive? If constantly on, and with a large volume of files, they WILL suffer a performance hit. Try running CCleaner (freeware) and get rid of cached files, clean up your registry (make a backup of it first though), then do a system wide defrag (I like defraggler for that) and see if it helps. I would say you're looking at about 12 hours to complete those processes, but they can be left to run overnight if you want.

Otherwise, the best thing is get a cheap SSD, as suggested, or clone your drive to a separate drive of equal or greater volume (ensures data isn't lost), AND make a backup (never hurts to be safe with these things), then re-install your OS.

FYI, Windows 8 RT is a specially designed version of the OS with an different kernel architecture to Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro. Get one of those instead. (preferably Pro of course). Honestly though, I'd stick with Win7. Win 8 is a pain in the ass and win7 is still being supported for many more years. Plus, you can run un-signed programs, game cracks etc MUCH easier than on Win 8. Not that you should be using those sorts of things... 

Guest Spencer

You could partition your drive, but honestly man Win7 is WAY better than Win8. I've used both on my desktop and Win7 is by far better.