20 members have voted

1. 1. Best Anti-Virus To Use?

• Norton
    • McAfee
    • Kaspersky
    • Others: putt in comments...

This poll is closed to new votes

32 posts in this topic

My Anti virus (McAfee) expires in a few days, so i got a small question for the brains under us.

Wich anti virus is 'the best' as in 'what is easy to control and overview things with'

Vote on le poll and strengthen your vote please. (Why...)

Greetz

Avast! (that's the actual name). I go for the top notch version every time, and It's easy to get a license with a long usage time (so it's kinda like a set and forget system). Great controls, let's you run questionable programs in a 'safe-mode' (called Sandbox) which isolates it from the OS but it behaves normally, has great functionality (i.e. silent mode, it's protecting you etc but no pop-ups; real-time scanning without performance hits, comprehensive controls for managing detected / quarantined items.

Avast! (that's the actual name). I go for the top notch version every time, and It's easy to get a license with a long usage time (so it's kinda like a set and forget system). Great controls, let's you run questionable programs in a 'safe-mode' (called Sandbox) which isolates it from the OS but it behaves normally, has great functionality (i.e. silent mode, it's protecting you etc but no pop-ups; real-time scanning without performance hits, comprehensive controls for managing detected / quarantined items.

Also, should i completely whipe my current McAfee anti virus so it doesnt conflict? Or is it gonna be fine once i ordered it?

Also, should i completely whipe my current McAfee anti virus so it doesnt conflict? Or is it gonna be fine once i ordered it?

I always suggest you install the new program first, then remove the old. That way, you're still protected at all times but also remove the chance of a clash.

I always suggest you install the new program first, then remove the old. That way, you're still protected at all times but also remove the chance of a clash.

Ah alright, i guess ill look into an order today or tomorrow. Thx

Ah alright, i guess ill look into an order today or tomorrow. Thx

Glad to help. As I say, those licenses for the top tier version of the program, they're expensive, but not too hard to get a hold of, if you can catch my oh so blatant drift.

Glad to help. As I say, those licenses for the top tier version of the program, they're expensive, but not too hard to get a hold of, if you can catch my oh so blatant drift.

Pff it would take 3 weekdays till the bank transfer would be completed. That means i would be 3 days without any protection. I think i might just go back to McAfee since its the only one that i can get from a local MM store.

I too use the Avast! antivirus... I think it's the best antivirus. Aside from what Falkerz said, you can also have browser cleanup, secureline (VPN), AccessAnywhere (which allows you to control your computer from another location), Firewall, SafeZone (Isolated virtual window for securing your online transactions) and more useful tools :)

I too use the Avast! antivirus... I think it's the best antivirus. Aside from what Falkerz said, you can also have browser cleanup, secureline (VPN), AccessAnywhere (which allows you to control your computer from another location), Firewall, SafeZone (Isolated virtual window for securing your online transactions) and more useful tools :)

hmmm... Im gonna install the free version, see how it goes and will upgrade if im happy with it. Thx for the feedback tho

i am going to try this as well

Guest Pop

I've used Eset, Norton, and Bitdefender.

If the only thing you're looking for is actual security, I suggest either Bitdefender or Norton.

However, for a person like me who deals with a lot of files that anti-viruses consider hazardous and remove/quarantine without me telling it to, it becomes very annoying.

I actually favorite Eset; it's very light and minimal so you can go about your business while you can trust it to catch real viruses.

Guest Dude322111

Using Webroot, incredibly fast scans, very light on system resources, incredible malware detection and blocking, all of that stuff. For more details, look it up. There's no free version, but it's very worth it. I've tried several antiviruses, some I've seen took up basically all system resources but caught viruses, others took little resources but were terrible at being actual antiviruses, and others used all system resources and were bad antiviruses anyway. Webroot takes very little resources but catches almost all viruses. The only bad thing about it is its antiphishing.

I used webroot, honestly not impressed, except with the shields its the same as a free antivirus, right now i am using avast paid version and it has a lot of cool features, good detection, and real time shields.  I also HIGHLY suggest that you run malwarebytes anti-malware every once in a while, it has a great database of viruses and types of malware it searches for (better than pretty much all the competition for free). 

I have run a lot of things and I swear by Norton. If its so called bloatware slows down your computer then you should be getting a better computer anyway. I enjoy its features and It speeds up a lot of things such as defrags by running its system repairs while your computer is idle. 

Guest Nik

Avast paid version is really nifty. If you don't want to pay and are looking for a free antivirus, Avast will do the basic job at the non-premium level as well.

I have run a lot of things and I swear by Norton. If its so called bloatware slows down your computer then you should be getting a better computer anyway. I enjoy its features and It speeds up a lot of things such as defrags by running its system repairs while your computer is idle. 

Slightly off topic here, but the freeware Defraggler can do that if you configure it. There is a paid version as well with a few extra features, but the free version does a pretty good job. If you want a really powerful defragging tool, go for Auslogics defrag pro. It has really comprehensive defragging algorithms and does a pretty good job of defragging system files when set for a boot time defrag, thus handling those pesky system volume information files that you can't quite bring yourself to remove.

Also, I do like CCleaner for registry management and clearing out cached files etc. Again, it's freeware, you can set a schedule if you want, but it's fast, it has great contolrs (so you can ignore cahced files for your browser etc if you want) and it lets you make backups of your registry each time you clean it, as well as saving those backups anywhere you like.

But otherwise, I've had serious issues with Norton, namely that my friend purchased a legitimate activation code from a retailer, and it worked for all of about 2 hours. and he keeps getting full screen pop-ups from it asking him to activate or renew. (and it's legitimate Norton because firstly I haven't changed his anti-virus, secondly he wouldn't know how to do it and thirdly, it's what came pre-installed on the shop bought laptop.)

Guest Spencer

I've been using products made by ESET for years now and have yet to have my computer actually infected by a virus. I initially started off using their NOD32 Antivirus on Windows XP which was amazing for its time. Now, 5 versions later I currently use their more "beefed-up" product which is ESET Smart Security.

Honestly man, even NOD32 by itself is amazing, Smart Security just provides a firewall and more secure networking options. IMO ESET is the way to go, they have never let me down and adding exceptions for "special programs ;)" is very easy as well and there is little to no false positives.

http://www.eset.com/us/

I've been using products made by ESET for years now and have yet to have my computer actually infected by a virus. I initially started off using their NOD32 Antivirus on Windows XP which was amazing for its time. Now, 5 versions later I currently use their more "beefed-up" product which is ESET Smart Security.

Honestly man, even NOD32 by itself is amazing, Smart Security just provides a firewall and more secure networking options. IMO ESET is the way to go, they have never let me down and adding exceptions for "special programs ;)" is very easy as well and there is little to no false positives.

Found a source for it. It's got some serious power in it, if they've got false positives to prevent people activating their product. Looks pretty comprehensive as well, but I'll stick with Avast thanks.

Well looking at the pricings (yep thats me, looking at prices) ill take avast!. Its easy to get used and it seems a lot of my friends also use it, so when in trouble i can ask them.

But eset looks pretty solid 2nd choice tho :)

Guest PhycoToDaMax

I am a Avast fan. I know this will probably sound weird, but I had Norton at first, my computer was very slow when I downloaded it, I messed with the settings ran scans literally everyday; just trying to keep my laptop in good shape, but then it happen.... My computer started wigging out and I didn't know what to do, people say Norton messes up ever once and awhile, so I didn't worry that much about it. Well then my computer would start closing programs randomly. So I looked up to see if I could get a free anti-virus, found Malwarebytes and Avast, I ran them both, I had 7 roots, 9 spies, and PHP files that were all in steam. 

After running it, my computer was faster, I didn't lag on games anymore and I feel like I am protected. 

I am a Avast fan. I know this will probably sound weird, but I had Norton at first, my computer was very slow when I downloaded it, I messed with the settings ran scans literally everyday; just trying to keep my laptop in good shape, but then it happen.... My computer started wigging out and I didn't know what to do, people say Norton messes up ever once and awhile, so I didn't worry that much about it. Well then my computer would start closing programs randomly. So I looked up to see if I could get a free anti-virus, found Malwarebytes and Avast, I ran them both, I had 7 roots, 9 spies, and PHP files that were all in steam. 

After running it, my computer was faster, I didn't lag on games anymore and I feel like I am protected.

My top three worst antivirus solutions are, in ascending order:

3rd - McAffee

2nd - Norton

1st - Windows Defender in Vista.

The reason Vista is the top entry is because it once ran a scan, decided the entirety of System32 was an incredibly dangerous virus, and must be deleted. I said it could quarantine, because I figured it had found a virus within System32 and wasn't telling me the path, but after about 10 seconds of quarantining beginning, my laptop BlueScreened, rebooted, BlueScreened again, then restored System32.

I updated the laptop to Win7 after 48 hours, with MSE on it. (FYI, that broke after a while and so I got Avast!).

Guest Cage The Rage

45549606.jpg

Fair point.

There's a couple of anti-viral software I use. Best to note is Hitman anti virus. 'Gets the job done'. Insert drum sounds here.

I have been using this Antivirus program for over 1 month and i say its has been working perfectly!

My top three worst antivirus solutions are, in ascending order:

3rd - McAffee

2nd - Norton

1st - Windows Defender in Vista.

The reason Vista is the top entry is because it once ran a scan, decided the entirety of System32 was an incredibly dangerous virus, and must be deleted. I said it could quarantine, because I figured it had found a virus within System32 and wasn't telling me the path, but after about 10 seconds of quarantining beginning, my laptop BlueScreened, rebooted, BlueScreened again, then restored System32.

I updated the laptop to Win7 after 48 hours, with MSE on it. (FYI, that broke after a while and so I got Avast!).

No avast? Im running on Avast now and am pretty happy with it. Its also cheap as ♥♥♥♥

No avast? Im running on Avast now and am pretty happy with it. Its also cheap as ♥♥♥♥

I am still running the Free Version and it is still keeping me protected :)