Become a premium member to remove ads
haloman30

An Apology.

Donation Handling  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How should donations be handled going forward?

• Do whatever you want with the money.
    • The funds should 100% be used only for CU purchases.

2 posts in this topic

This is gonna be a fairly serious announcement, a sort of confession if you will. I just urge you to please read over the entire announcement before coming to any conclusions on the matter.

You see, up until this point I've had next to nothing come in through donations. However, lately more donations have been coming in - coincidentally right as I happen to get a job that itself brings in money. What I haven't given much thought to is how you guys would feel about what those funds went to.

Up until now, funds have been immediately transferred to my personal bank account - the same one that our new dedicated server will be renewed from. I treated donation money as just, my money. I gave little consideration to ensuring that those funds went to things like server renewals and other such things - as ultimately, I knew I'd be able to afford them regardless. And ultimately the donations that come in don't begin to cover the majority of CU's overall costs. Considering all of this, I saw it as no issue to use donation funds on whatever I pleased - as long as I made sure that the bills got paid.

Apparently, however, some of my own staff wasn't aware of this - including our own administration. Hearing me mention that I bought something non-CU related with (probably) donation money nonchalantly in voice resulted in one particular admin having quite the shock and negative response, along with another member of the team. I honestly couldn't tell you what specific dollars went to where, because again - when it comes in, it just becomes part of my overall bank account. I have had similar discussions with other staff members in the past, and none of them saw much issue with it. And - to be fair, I still personally see little issue in terms of morals in this whole thing.

That being said, I've also not done a great job of communicating that to you guys, either. The only place you'll see this in the Terms of Service on the donation site. And, in fairness, it's nothing new. It's been a policy since 2014 - for one key reason. I've always maintained that I will never, at any point rely on donations to keep CU running, because donation income can be unreliable at best. And with the sheer amount of expenses we have, it's simply not feasible anyways.

After having two members of my team chew me out and even go so far as to compare me to Killerteddy himself - an accusation I strongly disagree with since Teddy was known for forcing other past CU staff to pay the bills in his absence - I think that I should, if nothing else, consult you guys about this, and use that to decide how I handle donations going forward.

First, I want to explain my perspective.

CU's bills stretch far beyond what anyone would call reasonable. I've managed to gather every single domain that had any connection to Chaotic United in any way, shape, or form - a lot of them. Overall, I pay for roughly 40ish domains, each of which are 13 dollars a year. You can figure out the rest - it's a hefty chunk of change. Additionally, there's a VPS that hosts Discord bots and our Beta 1.7.3 server ($14/month), a webhost which powers the forums for CU and Elaztek ($13/month), and a dedicated server which runs our Main and Modded MC servers ($48/month). In fairness - up until these past couple months, Michael has been paying for the Dedicated server. It wasn't until very recently that I've been able to actually take over those payments (and even then, we aren't done moving stuff over yet). But everything else is already being paid for by me, and has been for some time. However considering how much money I (or my father in some cases) have put in, I saw treating donations with the same liberty as personal spending money as no issue. And at the end of the day, if the money just sat idle as a pool for the bills to come out of, the end result is the same. Perhaps part of me having this mentality is just fear of becoming reliant on donations - there's been enough this year to cover several months of dedicated server bills, for sure. But, that's all in the past - and isn't the primary purpose for this announcement.

This announcement is about the future. If you feel genuinely upset, betrayed, or hurt by this - I give you my deepest apologies. I genuinely never imagined it to be any real issue at the end of the day. And, whether I think I'm becoming closer to Teddy than I'd like or not - I want to still do right by you guys.

So, I'll leave it up to you. First, I'll be making a poll. Do any of you guys feel that donations should be exclusively used for server bills? Do you think that I'm justified in using them how I desire considering the overall situation? Do you just not give 2 shits either way? Let me know with the choices below.

Going forward, as we migrate things to new servers and eventually migrate to a new donation store software entirely, what I'm going to look into doing is making this whole thing a user choice at checkout. The idea is basically that, as a user, you can choose to ensure your money goes directly back into CU, or if you don't care - then it gives me free license to do what I want with it. Until such a system takes place, however, the poll on this announcement will determine what happens to donations after today. However, unlike past polls, I'm not gonna just pick whoever has more than the other. If it's a close result, then I'll just stay on the safe side and keep funds for CU usage only. The only way I'll be using funds freely is if that option wins out by an overwhelming majority (say 75% to 80% or more).

However, there's one more thing I want to try and do.

If you honestly, truly, and deeply feel like I have wronged you by misuse of donations, DM me. I can't give any time frames but I'll do my best to try and refund you personally as soon as I'm able. My current work hours are incredibly shit so it's liable to be many, many months down the road. Keep in mind that doing this will result in you not having the rank anymore - obviously - and if every single person who has ever donated asks for their donations back, I probably won't be able to do it for a couple of years even. I do still have bills to pay, after all.

Note: If you wish to claim a refund you must do so within 2 weeks of this announcement (by June 8, 2020). Any refund requests afterwards will not be honored.

So, uh, yeah. That's it. This isn't about any new features or anything like that, though there are some of those in the works as always. Once again, if you feel hurt or betrayed or offended by this - I'm sorry - and I'll do everything within my reach to make it right. Because, at the end of the day, I am not Killerteddy1.

Alrighty folks, so it's not even been 24 hours - but even so, a lot has happened and we've got a new plan for the situation.

First off, I want to thank all of you for the overwhelming support thus far. I'll be honest, I expected this to turn out a lot worse than what ended up happening. Moreover, I was actually surprised that option A (do what you want with the money) actually seems to be winning out - I fully expected option B to win by a landslide.

However, our end plan is going to basically be neither of those two options. After some internal talks, here's our plan:

I'm going to be making sure all donations are kept in reserve up until I have enough to cover the following month (or maybe even 2 months) worth of server bills. In other words, anywhere between 50 and 100 dollars will be set aside as "don't touch any of this" money, mainly as a precautionary measure in the event of a catastrophic event in my personal life that makes me unable to pay the bills. Almost anything above that reserve will be handled as it has been thus far. Almost.

As I mentioned a while back, we will soon be migrating to a new donation store website called DonationStore. One thing that should be possible with this (since it's self-hosted, unlike the other store softwares) is being able to have added options during the purchase process. In other words, an option will be left up to the user upon purchasing anything from the store. The user will be able to decide where that money goes, whether they want it to go exclusively to CU itself in some way, shape, or form, or if they simply don't mind either way. This way, the user will be made fully aware and in control of whether or not the money goes towards CU.

One other thing, that was recently brought up by @Em_Aru, is the phrasing on the site itself. Thus far, it's been called a "Donation" store. You're "donating" to CU and we're "giving" you a rank out of nothing but generosity. We've kept it with that name just out of tradition, but perhaps this is one of those traditions that needs to be broken - as, without that terminology being used, this entire situation never would've even been a concern.

So, in no specific time frame, we're going to be migrating away from using the term "donation" in the context of the store. This will likely be (one of) the last posts you'll see in CU referring to our MC rank shop..thing as a "donation store". As you can tell, we'll need to find an alternative term for it. Eventually, the URL will be changed to something like http://store.chaoticunited.net as opposed to http://donate.chaoticunited.net. Eventually, there won't be any references to the ranks as a donation - however the user-selectable "where the money goes" option will remain.  

Once again, I sincerely apologize for this whole mess. Or if you think I'm not even in the wrong - I apologize for, if nothing else, being a bit emotional and a bit of a downer for the past day, and chances are I'll likely be a bit of a mess for a little while yet. The whole situation has caused a couple rifts, one in particular that I can only pray gets closed, and overall the whole situation has just taken its toll on me. I'm not asking for support, or even for you to agree with my personal viewpoints. Because while I personally don't consider this to be a major moral issue, I recognize that some of you very well might - and because of that, I'm setting my thoughts aside to try and make things right - because at the end of the day, it's not really about me.

It's about you guys - the community as a whole. And at the end of the day I can think whatever I want - but if you guys don't like it, then there's only one right path for me to take.