Become a premium member to remove ads
Jamplifier

Different Approach

21 posts in this topic

Sup Bitches, I know you all remember me and still don't wanna give me OP, whatever.

I have a suggestion take it or leave it, but I see a lot of potential in chaotic united not as a server but as a community. The main reason its doing completely garbage is because you're holding onto minecraft. Minecraft it self is dead, so any community related to it will also be dead. Now I am not saying get rid of minecraft because halo has an awkward fetish with blocks but maybe instead turn this into a gaming community. You have everything you need to set your self up for success, but you fail at using it. IPB is a powerful system, and it looks like you guys got it all down pact, except no one wants a whole forums based off minecraft. The old chaotic united was obliviously popping because minecraft was popping, what they did was take what was popular, offer a platform for people to connect on, and add a little twist of customization to keep it going.

Example: World of Warcraft

Indeed it was a very popular game around 2012 or whatever, so what did the owner decide to do,  create a platform for players to interact,  then invested in a private custom server to keep those players attracted. 

Example 2: Runescape

It was very popular around the same time, and once again create a platform base for players to interact and socialize, trade ect for the game, invest in a private server to keep the player base connected and involved. 

Then minecraft you already know how that went.

Those games obviously died out but by that time killerteddy knew that and was already planning on switching the game plan. Unfortunately the trail of stupidity caught up to him and he lost everything he had setup in place to keep the dream going.

If you guys instead turned this into a hub focused on gaming as a whole, then the players will flow in from those games and hopefully feed off into other games as well. WoW players would hop on MC for a bit, MC players would hop on runescape for a bit so on and so forth, because all those platforms were offered within the same community, friends can go play mc together, then to collect money in runescape or whatever you do in runescape I never played it really.

I think in order to achieve this a clean start, or a re make and re open is in order to clear out all the old and re brand and re image chaotic united for what it originally was, a gaming community because that's what everyone misses, the community aspect. Times have changed and chaotic needs the same. 

Honestly I agree with you on most of this, except for the whole part about MC being a dead game. I've heard that idea get tossed around a lot and I want to try and explain the other side of that story.

There are still a ton of Minecraft-focused communities and forums that all are plenty successful. Generally from what I've seen, people say that Minecraft is a dead game purely because they themselves lost interest in the game. Millions still play it, and I suspect that won't change anytime soon just due to the nature of the game. The game is, in a sense, virtual Lego - it can act as a survival tool but at the core a big focus is creativity. For the creatively-inclined, the game likely won't tire as easily - which is probably why I've been able to stick with it and love it for over 7 years now. As of lately, MC has actually been starting to trend upwards again. For some reason or another the game appears to be coming out of it's perceived dead state. My theory is that the issue is simply advertising. Nobody knows that we exist, and the few who do are people who came from old CU. Virtually everyone here is someone who was on ND or old CU at some point. The only exceptions being friends of those people from old CU. As such, those people have been moving on and nobody has come in to fill their place. I take full fault for that because I'm absolutely clueless on how to actually advertise without something to the effect of paying for premium server listing spots or something of that sort.

In regards to the idea of a total "reopening" and "clearing out all the old", I don't know if I'm quite keen on that idea. I'm very much in favor of historical preservation, and at the moment I'm not exactly all that comfortable with the idea of totally doing a 180 and effectively wiping away what we once had. I feel that we have a responsibility to honor the past - not just of the old CU, but of the small yet very real population of people who have stuck around in the new CU and ND too. I'm not entirely against having a focus on things that aren't Minecraft - the primary issue is that for the past several years I've been in a spot where I don't have a ton of resources to do things. That's about to change within the next month or so though.

Call it a block fetish (xd) or anything else, MC is something I'm passionate about and it's something that won't be going away anytime soon. I'm all ears for ideas for expansion, but it's likely going to be a long time before we see the end of CU's MC server. In regards to said expansion - what specifically are you suggesting? More servers? Ignoring servers and focusing on Forums/Discord? Something else entirely?

Game ideas are Appreciated. Its All about funds to get projects off the ground even if something i thought of what game and platform to run it off of. And need a Development team to keep the server up and running healthy.

Here's a problem with it, we can't just look for popular games. There has to be a legal way to host and possibly make revenue. Most games have severe restrictions against that, for example: World of Warcraft or RuneScape. Now granted if an opportunity presents itself, I'm not opposed to checking into it. We aren't uneducated when it comes to that fact, I get that there are tons of popular systems and games, the point of this is we want to keep everything as legal as possible. We aren't kids anymore meaning there's real consequences if we don't follow the strict guidelines.

2 hours ago, Jamplifier said:

😫hopeless..

How is being open and asking for clarification hopeless?

I'm sorry that I don't subscribe to the unpopular opinion that Minecraft is just a dead game beyond any recovery, but if you look at it objectively, it isn't dead. Far from it. I'm not gonna throw away MC purely because some of CU's veteran players  have simply grown up and moved on from it.

1 hour ago, alycat said:

Here's a problem with it, we can't just look for popular games. There has to be a legal way to host and possibly make revenue. Most games have severe restrictions against that, for example: World of Warcraft or RuneScape. Now granted if an opportunity presents itself, I'm not opposed to checking into it. We aren't uneducated when it comes to that fact, I get that there are tons of popular systems and games, the point of this is we want to keep everything as legal as possible. We aren't kids anymore meaning there's real consequences if we don't follow the strict guidelines.

I may be misinterpreting his original post, but I get the feeling he isn't suggesting gameservers - rather to somehow focus on creating a community without having self-hosted servers.

However, in regards to popular games - there are two ways to look at it.

On one hand, you can certainly build a following based on whatever's popular at the time. But when that thing stops being relevant, how many of those guys are gonna stick around? Allow me to echo your words in the original post and refer back to old CU - how many people were still around from WoW/RS in 2013? Not a whole ton, MC had overtaken it and everyone who came for those games eventually just left.

The reason I'm hesitant to just follow the trends is because it's a bad long-term move. It's good at building a community for the lifetime of that game, but ultimately people aren't gonna stick around once the next big thing comes up most likely. That being said, clearly we're doing something wrong as we're sat here with a very small community.

But at the same time, I'd like to think we're doing something right as well - for that small community is incredibly tight-knit. Despite many of the people not playing MC a ton, Discord is still alive and well and everyone still talks.

I've figured that if nothing else happens, once I start getting a game out for Elaztek I'll do something to try and involve CU a fair bit in that if all else fails.

I am still open to hearing the clarification - what are you suggesting? Servers? No servers? If no servers, are you suggesting something specific? I'm not known for being able to pick up on cues and I can't do much with a suggestion that I don't entirely understand.

I agree with Jamplifier. if we focus on other games we might have a chance. I'm not saying that we should just get a bunch of game servers, but if we do some research and find a game lots of people are playing and will continue to play (like Minecraft), we might be able to make this community into a big huge community. Now I know that there is legal stuff we have to do but in the long run, I think it will work.

15 minutes ago, haloman30 said:

The reason I'm hesitant to just follow the trends is because it's a bad long-term move. It's good at building a community for the lifetime of that game, but ultimately people aren't gonna stick around once the next big thing comes up most likely. That being said, clearly we're doing something wrong as we're sat here with a very small community.

That is true, Minecraft is becoming that, but if we expand our servers we will have more players from that game join and like Jampifier said they might want to try out Minecraft and like the game.

Just now, lipinskip123 said:

I agree with Jamplifier. if we focus on other games we might have a chance. I'm not saying that we should just get a bunch of game servers, but if we do some research and find a game lots of people are playing and will continue to play (like Minecraft), we might be able to make this community into a big huge community. Now I know that there is legal stuff we have to do but in the long run, I think it will work.

That is true, Minecraft is becoming that, but if we expand our servers we will have more players from that game join and like Jampifier said they might want to try out Minecraft and like the game.

There are 2 primary issues:

1. Most newer/popular games don't have player-hosted servers or any mechanisms to do so.

2. Those that do likely only do through modding and it can be legal hell. Running a WoW or RuneScape server is illegal as shit and Blizzard has been known to file lawsuits and pursue legal action as a result.

I don't think anyone here is looking to get in legal trouble for running a community. I sure as shit don't.

7 hours ago, lipinskip123 said:

True but who said it had to be newer? Minecraft isn't new.

Well Josh's suggestion is to have a focus on more popular games which on average tends to be newer games.

20 hours ago, haloman30 said:

There are 2 primary issues:

1. Most newer/popular games don't have player-hosted servers or any mechanisms to do so.

2. Those that do likely only do through modding and it can be legal hell. Running a WoW or RuneScape server is illegal as shit and Blizzard has been known to file lawsuits and pursue legal action as a result.

I don't think anyone here is looking to get in legal trouble for running a community. I sure as shit don't.

Most newer games don't have player-hosted servers, although they have ways to build a community.

I'm aware that WoW and Runescape arent particularly new games, in fact they are  just a few years younger than me. Both these games have ways to build a community, whether it's clans or friend chats, u can do it. I've played a lot of CS:GO for example with people I met on a runescape clan. With that being said, managing a clan on both of those games can be fun and can help CU grow even if its a smal amount.

Other games such as CS:GO do have ways to build servers and connect people. I don't know if you want to dedicate time to opening csgo servers or other shooters such as tf2 but it can be rewarding for the community.

Also I do kind of agree with minecraft being "dead". Is it really dead? No. But does it have a declining player base? Yes.

With new games coming out such as Fortnite or Apex, people are starting to shift to those games. My young cousins (11yo) used to play minecraft all the time and now just play fornite with their friends. I'm aware this doesn't mean everyone shifted over to these new games and that minecraft isnt just for kids but it's just goes to show that even they are leaving minecraft for other games.

A small investment of time into these new games shouldnt hurt this community at all. 

1 hour ago, HeyImJ0hn said:

Most newer games don't have player-hosted servers, although they have ways to build a community.

I'm aware that WoW and Runescape arent particularly new games, in fact they are  just a few years younger than me. Both these games have ways to build a community, whether it's clans or friend chats, u can do it. I've played a lot of CS:GO for example with people I met on a runescape clan. With that being said, managing a clan on both of those games can be fun and can help CU grow even if its a smal amount.

Other games such as CS:GO do have ways to build servers and connect people. I don't know if you want to dedicate time to opening csgo servers or other shooters such as tf2 but it can be rewarding for the community.

Also I do kind of agree with minecraft being "dead". Is it really dead? No. But does it have a declining player base? Yes.

With new games coming out such as Fortnite or Apex, people are starting to shift to those games. My young cousins (11yo) used to play minecraft all the time and now just play fornite with their friends. I'm aware this doesn't mean everyone shifted over to these new games and that minecraft isnt just for kids but it's just goes to show that even they are leaving minecraft for other games.

A small investment of time into these new games shouldnt hurt this community at all. 

Just because a playerbase is declining (which also no, it actually isn't if you actually look at the number of people coming into the game) doesn't mean it's time to abandon ship.

The other thing about having say clans and other such things for other games is that we don't (to my knowledge) have people willing to operate and maintain such a thing. I've got too much on my plate to begin with - what with trying to find a job (and eventually having one), running CU, and also programming and working on stuff for Elaztek.

I'm not opposed to the idea of expansion - but someone else would need to lead such projects as I won't be able to do it the right way - my passion lies with MC and such, my game library is tiny and mostly consists of Halo, Minecraft, and a few other random miscellaneous games (that are usually older games). I don't have the personal interest to pursue clans on say Apex or Fortnite or whatever, so if I were the one to lead the charge it'd be a disaster.

Once again though on the topic of MC - if you look at the state of the game right now, people are actually coming back. People who quit years ago are showing back up, partially due to a combination of new updates, nostalgia, and memes. And as I said before - just because something is declining a bit doesn't mean shit if the game is still wildly popular. It isn't an easy process to actually bring in members effectively without having funding behind it - which is something I'll be doing once I get this job.

A lot of people like to say that the game is dead because in their limited circle, it is. Their friends have moved on, the people they know moved on, and they themselves moved on. When that's mostly all you see is people you know leaving the game to go play others, then it's no surprise that people get the feeling that the game is declining, dying, or dead. But at the end of the day, what happens in one or a thousand friend circles doesn't apply to the world. Maybe the game is declining - not much of a shocker, the game has been out for 10 years (actually today is the 10 year anniversary). But even so - it's still more than viable to build a community on, and that's why I intend to stick with MC.

I know a lot of old folk would rather see me shift gears to something else and drop MC finally, I've yet to hear an actual compelling argument as to why I should put Minecraft to the side or even shut it down entirely in favor of other, newer games that I don't give a single shit about. The only argument I ever hear is that the game is dead or dying - which is simply not true. Look up the numbers yourself if you don't believe me. Go to the forums for various other servers. Check out PMC or MinecraftForum. There's a massive amount of Minecraft focused communities that are thriving today.

The biggest issue CU has is that people have been slowly trickling away for the past 4 years and we've been clueless as to how to actually create a proper influx of people. Virtually every single person that's active is either from old CU or ND, or is a friend of someone from old CU or ND. Chaotic United's lack of success isn't because of the game, it's because of my ineptitude when it comes to advertising and self-promotion.

I don't mean to come off as angry or dismissive - I do see value in expansion, and it's something I may talk to the team about and see if anyone is interested in building clans for those other games. I just get tired of hearing the same false argument being made time and time again and that I should just quit and focus on something else (yes I know you're not suggesting quitting it).

Lastly in regards to TF2 or CS:GO servers - we've had those in the past and they performed absolutely horrible. That being said, a couple staff are interested in managing other gameservers, and once we update to 1.14 there should in theory be a lot more headroom to work with to actually run a couple more servers. So that might be something we explore here soon, along with me looking to invest financially into advertising and marketing for MC.

I am not suggesting dropping or forgetting about minecraft, but for example.. when you go to chaoticunited.net what is the first impression you get? Minecraft. Click on forums, minecraft. I'm not saying put less effort into minecraft instead put more effort into versatility.

That was the decline and eventual death in Old Chaotic United, the start of Nuclear District.

8 hours ago, Jamplifier said:

I am not suggesting dropping or forgetting about minecraft, but for example.. when you go to chaoticunited.net what is the first impression you get? Minecraft. Click on forums, minecraft. I'm not saying put less effort into minecraft instead put more effort into versatility.

This sounds a lot more feasible, I like it.

8 hours ago, Jamplifier said:

Major side note: Why would you buy my old server hurricane craft? 😂😂😂😂

I know aly answered but yes - it's part of CU's history. I try to preserve whatever I can if at all possible. That includes HurricaneCraft, TWG, ND, UAC, and anything else I can get my hands on.

Fun fact - I currently own 42 domains :^)

13 hours ago, lipinskip123 said:

lol 42,  Lots of history

3 hours ago, alycat said:

Lots more to come. :P

Yes.  I'm eyeing a couple currently, not gonna name them to avoid anyone potentially getting to them first - they're coming up once I get that job :zoomeyes: