Become a premium member to remove ads
haloman30

CU Updates #28 - 8 Years, 1.14 Status

5 posts in this topic

Howdy folks! Some stuff has been happening the past few days and I think it's high time we let you guys in on some of it.

As you probably know, Minecraft 1.14 released just a few days ago. Our test server has, as of today, been updated to 1.14 - granted there's still a ways to go. A lot of stuff is broken, but not as much as was broken with 1.13. Survival is mostly playable, however most other gamemodes aren't functional just yet. This will obviously change as time goes on and things get updated, Spigot and our plugins alike. This is still a fairly decent outcome considering that we are only a few after 1.14's release and we're already somewhat up and running on it.

But of course, something else is significant about today. Today is April 26th, CU's birthday. Today marks 8 years since Chaotic United first opened its doors to the world.

That's quite a long time, and a lot has changed in the world since 2011. Many of us here were children back then. Many of the people who were around back then have moved on from Minecraft, and many of those did so years ago. For a lot of people, it's sad to look at the current state of the community in comparison to back then. Part of our apparent lack of progress is my fault.

For the past couple years I've neglected to run my staff team properly, and over the past couple of years the importance of staff expectations have degraded. The importance of being active decreased, I failed to give people things to do, and people were still growing up and moving into a new phase of their lives. Many of the people who had nothing but time back then nowadays are busy with college, work, or life in general.

I've told this to my staff team just the other day, and I'm going to tell you - I want this 8th anniversary to be a turning point. A turning point for me, for this team, and for this community. The torch I've picked up and continue to carry has been neglected - and for that, I am terribly sorry. But sorry isn't enough - the only thing that's enough is correcting the mistakes of the past and building a better future. To deliver on the promises and goals I had back in 2014. And while those goals may be high - too high to be realistic, as some say - I believe in aiming high.

A pattern has been consistent for each and every one of these special dates - a promise of "things will get better soon, guys", time and time again like a broken record. My goal is for this one to be the last one. I want our 9th birthday to be a celebration, not a message of hope for the future. I can say things will get good soon, but sooner or later people are going to stop having hope. We've been declining, not growing. I want our next birthday announcement to be reminiscent of the one that was posted after it's first year of life:

On 4/21/2012 at 1:47 PM, Spencer said:

Chaotic United is now a year old, give or take a couple days. It was once a much smaller community known as "Fatality Minecraft" that only consisted of a Minecraft server, run off of killerteddy's computer.

This year has been amazing, we've expanded rapidly and became a successful and known gaming community. Our presence has spawned many other small gaming communities, some chose to try to develop alongside of us and others tried to attack our member base and steal the ideas that our community was founded upon.

None of our achievements and goals would have ever been met without you guys, the community. So we owe it all to you. Many original members of Chaotic knew that we were always branded by our blue colour schemed styles so I've decided to revamp our current theme to blue and white as opposed to the green and white. You'll also find various of improvements and new features that were added in the past week.

Also, in addition to all this we've reached 100,000 total posts! That's a huge milestone for us, and in less then a week or so we'll hit 25,000 total members. Out of all the projects I've lead or contributed to none has been ever so successful as Chaotic, and I'm proud of what we've all built Chaotic United to be.

So once again, thanks everyone for making Chaotic's first year an amazing and the development team is working diligently to produce new and truly custom and immersive content. And also a special thanks to all of our donators and supporterss, without you we wouldn't be able to fund the server costs and development costs. And we're still very proud to say that not even a cent of donation money has ever been spent for our personal benefits. 

I want next year's post to look more like this, instead of preaching hope of future prospects for the 3rd or 4th year in a row. You'll start seeing the effects of some of these changes as we update to 1.14, and as we move into the rest of the year.

Now to clarify something before we wrap up: When I talk about a turning point, I do NOT refer to any shift away from Minecraft. We may start to explore having one or two other servers, but we're gonna be sticking to Minecraft as our main server for many years to come. I firmly believe that the issue is not entirely due to the server itself (though there are definitely some things that need to change on that front), but moreso to do with how we as a team actually function - along with a lack of any sort of marketing/advertisement.

Keep your eyes peeled on forums and Discord - things are gonna start happening very soon that will mark a turnaround in this community.

A good fault to me as well, but I do feel that this will be a new turning point. I have a feeling.

Man i miss chaotic united during the 1.2.5 update era. I used to grief everyones blocks and sell them and get banned for griefing. There is nothing i miss more than how the server used to be, old spawn and all that. I log on and it almost makes me sick how far it deviated from how it used to be. Fuckin player shops, man. That was where it was at. Creating warps and all that fun stuff :( 

3 minutes ago, kristopaquio said:

Man i miss chaotic united during the 1.2.5 update era. I used to grief everyones blocks and sell them and get banned for griefing. There is nothing i miss more than how the server used to be, old spawn and all that. I log on and it almost makes me sick how far it deviated from how it used to be. Fuckin player shops, man. That was where it was at. Creating warps and all that fun stuff :( 

I think you might like what we have in store for 1.14 👀

If you have more specific details on what you think should be better though I do encourage you to make a post in Suggestions & Feedback - we haven't really deviated that far from the old ways save for adding new things to the mix, survival is mostly the same as it has been (minus some things like server shop and such). But I may not see these things or be entirely aware so do make a topic!