Become a premium member to remove ads
lipinskip123

Hosting our own MC server

5 posts in this topic

So lately I have been studying ways to save money on our MC server instead of paying outrageous amounts of money to keep our server up why don't we host our own MC server? Links below on how to do it
https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/support/server-support-and/1937535-how-to-set-up-a-minecraft-hosting-company
https://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/how-to-start-your-own-minecraft-hosting-company-basic/
https://support.hostgator.com/articles/specialized-help/how-to-host-your-own-minecraft-server
I feel this will help save money and we won't have to worry about paying outrageous amounts of money to keep the MC server going. If we get this setup we won't have to worry about going bankrupt not only that we can actually make it profit since instead of using donation money to pay monthly for our MC server we can use the money to improve the MC server which can over time bring in more players and keep them playing. 

Donations don't go to the server bills, and we technically do host our own. We aren't running with some overpriced MC server hosting platform, we run with dedicated servers that we can use for virtually any purpose.

if you want a large amount of more details that i rambled on for a bit you can see it here

Spoiler

We are in no danger of going bankrupt as michael has done quite well at keeping these servers afloat. Should that change sooner rather than later, I own a VPS from the same company and I have two servers physically available.

Keep in mind we don't just run a single MC server, we run a bungeecord network with semi-vanilla, a hub, and the main MC server. along with that we run a Beta 1.7.3 server and the server for Brink of Chaos, which is a pretty heavy modpack.

Donations always get stockpiled away and never go to server bills for the explicit purpose of making sure it can go to something genuinely useful as opposed to being swallowed up by bills. The issue is we don't get very many donations at all for it to stack up enough to something meaningful.

The biggest financial concern for CU is my own income, which is something im working on resolving in one form or another - though I am more looking for things I can do on my own rather than working some miserable shit job that I just end up wanting to quit every hour of it. What it is specifically that I'll end up doing has yet to be seen, but even should that fail, it will impact my own life moreso than CU.

Anyways, I digress. Starting a hosting company of our own is certainly a neat idea, but it's one that requires that we have hardware and knowledge to do it. Michael would likely be knowledgeable enough to do it, but he's got other stuff going on and honestly I don't see a MC hosting platform being a viable enough option to pursue in our current state. It's not something you'll be able to find an online guide on to do right. If you go with buying physical hardware, then you're also going to need to have incredibly fast internet to handle a large number of servers, a drastic increase in your electricity bill to keep the servers running, a room that you don't mind becoming a sauna as servers kick out a fair bit of heat, and security. That's the biggest one - getting a good security system in place. The ability to mitigate DDoS attacks. Your life ends up being simpler by paying monthly fees for a dedicated server with someone like OVH or something. Plus after all that, there's marketing to consider. Marketing which it seems that nobody here (myself included) knows how to do - which is part of why CU is still so empty.

On 12/17/2018 at 5:42 PM, haloman30 said:

Donations don't go to the server bills, and we technically do host our own. We aren't running with some overpriced MC server hosting platform, we run with dedicated servers that we can use for virtually any purpose.

if you want a large amount of more details that i rambled on for a bit you can see it here

Reveal hidden contents

We are in no danger of going bankrupt as michael has done quite well at keeping these servers afloat. Should that change sooner rather than later, I own a VPS from the same company and I have two servers physically available.

Keep in mind we don't just run a single MC server, we run a bungeecord network with semi-vanilla, a hub, and the main MC server. along with that we run a Beta 1.7.3 server and the server for Brink of Chaos, which is a pretty heavy modpack.

Donations always get stockpiled away and never go to server bills for the explicit purpose of making sure it can go to something genuinely useful as opposed to being swallowed up by bills. The issue is we don't get very many donations at all for it to stack up enough to something meaningful.

The biggest financial concern for CU is my own income, which is something im working on resolving in one form or another - though I am more looking for things I can do on my own rather than working some miserable shit job that I just end up wanting to quit every hour of it. What it is specifically that I'll end up doing has yet to be seen, but even should that fail, it will impact my own life moreso than CU.

Anyways, I digress. Starting a hosting company of our own is certainly a neat idea, but it's one that requires that we have hardware and knowledge to do it. Michael would likely be knowledgeable enough to do it, but he's got other stuff going on and honestly I don't see a MC hosting platform being a viable enough option to pursue in our current state. It's not something you'll be able to find an online guide on to do right. If you go with buying physical hardware, then you're also going to need to have incredibly fast internet to handle a large number of servers, a drastic increase in your electricity bill to keep the servers running, a room that you don't mind becoming a sauna as servers kick out a fair bit of heat, and security. That's the biggest one - getting a good security system in place. The ability to mitigate DDoS attacks. Your life ends up being simpler by paying monthly fees for a dedicated server with someone like OVH or something. Plus after all that, there's marketing to consider. Marketing which it seems that nobody here (myself included) knows how to do - which is part of why CU is still so empty.

Halo is right on the part of the hosting. I have a server setup for hosting and it is soooo heavy on network usage and electric. My monthly bill in the summer is $300+ and $150+ in the winter. An easy thing to host would end up being websites and thats also tricky as there are so many other web hosts to compete with that you end up having to cut your prices down a lot to even get people interested in your company. Halo does a great job with CU and Michael does a great job as well. I have been following CU for a while now and have seen the progress they have made and they don't stop for anything.

Plus if you'll open your links you'll see it says buy, I couldn't have said it better than halo, our stuffs way better than anything most could even ask for, we can only go up from here.