Become a premium member to remove ads
haloman30

7 Years Ago...

1 post in this topic

7 years ago, Chaotic United entered the gaming world, starting with a WOW, Runescape, and MC server. As time went on, MC took over everything and the other servers faded into the past. Come 2014, CU's team went on to create Nuclear District. Later in 2014, myself and Alycat began the work here to rebuild CU. In late 2015, us and ND merged to unite as one. Come 2016, ND closed its doors - leaving CU as the only remaining group of the old Chaotic United left alive.

I know what you're expecting, another topic of "we've got big plans and look how far we've come in the past year, etc." with not too much to support any of it. That is more or less what the topic is, but we're doing it a bit different this year.

Admittedly, CU hasn't had a whole lot going on the past 6 months or so. That being said, within the past year some pretty huge things have happened.

First of all, last June, we finally obtained the chaoticunited.com domain name - which for those of you around back in late 2014/early 2015, will remember that we actually had a little countdown timer on the sidebar counting down to the day we would obtain the domain. Little did young halo know, that timer would mean absolutely nothing.

b5cb4d85fc01b0ee07db68a75e7a6a9f.png

This countdown timer was made using some free online service, before I had any real knowledge of web development. As you can tell both by CU's website and forums and especially Elaztek's homepage, my skills have increased a bit since then.

Our Minecraft server also had another relaunch a few months ago, which managed to increase the playerbase size a bit. Not only that, but this month has seen the most donations than we've seen the entire year prior. Still isn't a huge chunk of cash, but it's still more than we've had in a while (thanks @Faerien, @Em_Aru, Murloc, and all others who donated!).

But what about the future?

In the past, I've said things along the lines of "aly's getting a job", or "we have access to new technology enabling us to do x, y, and maybe even z". This won't be any of that - at least, not exactly.

On May 19, I will be graduating from High School and moving up in the world to get a job and to begin pursuing my dreams of starting a game development company - Elaztek Studios. But don't think for even a minute that CU will be left behind, no way in hell. I've seen too many admins just go off to college and get jobs and just abandon this project - that's something I have sworn to never do. Chaotic United has been too wonderful and good to me. I've had too much fun and made too many memories for me to just leave it in the dust.

I don't know how much time I will be able to invest, it depends on what the future holds. But one thing is certain, once I start getting income, you can bet that CU will get a lot more happening. I'll be able to invest in more servers, pay developers to create custom plugins and whatnot, and so much more. At the same time, not all of my money is going here either. I will also be investing to make Elaztek Studios happen, as I've wanted to do game development since before I even knew what Minecraft was, before I was even out of elementary school. I can't say how much will go which direction, but the goal is to have both of them be at least slightly better off than they are right now.

In the more immediate future, however, we have several ElDewrito servers planned to hit all at once. You've probably noticed the huge announcements over the past couple days regarding some of the issues occurring between 343 Industries, Microsoft, and the ElDewrito team. If you haven't seen the more recent ones, just know that the game's files cannot be found on the Halo Online subreddit due to issues with Microsoft. Also, there was no DMCA or C&D, nor is the ElDewrito team permanently stopping development - only a temporary pause until further notice. So if you happen to see people continuing to believe that the project has been shut down, killed off, or permanently stopping development, call them out because too many people have absolutely no idea what they are talking about and do not read announcements. Anyways - if you check the pinned messages in the #eldewrito channel on Discord, you can find a zip that contains the game files, ready to run - courtesy of espon/wolfbitez.

Currently, we have the following servers planned:

• Forge - Accomplished with an old Halo 3 mod that changed a custom game variant to use Forge in custom games
  • Grifball - The classic grifball gametype, featuring maps made from people here on Chaotic United!
  • BTB/Etc. - This server contains both BTB and other large-scale gametypes, will likely end up being purely BTB variants, however.
  • Customs - A server with tons of crazy custom game variants - ie, Parkour, Indiana Jones, Jenga, and stuff along those lines.

These Forge, Grifball, and BTB are all near completion and will likely be up and running very soon, so stay tuned! Additionally, if you have any maps you want to submit, you can upload them here. Additionally, you can suggest maps from other sources (ie, ForgeHub) if you want us to consider implementing them. The same goes for game variants an so on.

Overall, while the past while has been fairly slow, we are excited for what the future holds for Chaotic United - and we hope you are too. The future is bright, and soon things will start moving to help make that actually happen.