Become a premium member to remove ads
soggy

Regarding the flow of players

7 posts in this topic

So we have been getting new players coming in, from what I've seen over the past 2-3 days is that lots of the new players that join leave very shortly after. I was thinking that along with advertising to get new players in, we make an effort to start getting more to do on the server. Survival, Skyblock, Factions, and Creative are the main gamemodes on the server and practically ever single god damn server has that, we should try and give these gamemodes a hint of uniqeness and introduce new gamemodes. In the idea of making things unique we should start with factions because that's a popular gamemode on other servers, and add something like special perks or classes; I've seen servers where the players select special classes which then gives passive buffs and active abilities for pvp/pve and gathering rescources; sort of like mcmmo but with some sort of CU specific spin to it ex. Haloman class provides the passive ability of hunger 1 (cause he won't become an android so he starves) and has the "Anger" ability which when around dogs/wolves the player gets strength 1 (shouting at soggy is optional on the players behalf). Next up, minigames. Minigames are a great way to get new players to keep playing because there are a multitude of different games to choose from. We should start with some generic, easy to do games like spleef and tnt run, but not just a flat platform, I mean some small top platforms which open to larger platforms, basically just interesting maps for those. Then proceed to expand on top of those existing gamemodes, and maybe invent some ourselves. An in-game currency specific to minigames can be implemented aswell for boosts or cosmetic items which makes players want to continue to play, and opens up a good donation revenue.

These are just some ideas on how to keep new players coming in, and have them stay. Of course we're already working on things like this but it's always a good idea to have a few suggestions for new stuff.

Yeah those are great ideas but if there are no players playing what would be the point of getting those things added?

I've been on lately most of the time and the server is always empty, yes there are lots of new players joining, its surprising tbh, but they all leave and I think that is due to the lack of activity on the server, if I joined an empty server I wouldnt stay for long cus I had no one to talk to, but that's just my opinion and I can be completely wrong. I think if some of our staff would make a little efford to be on more often just to welcome new players it would help a bit.

1 hour ago, HeyImJ0hn said:

Yeah those are great ideas but if there are no players playing what would be the point of getting those things added?

I've been on lately most of the time and the server is always empty, yes there are lots of new players joining, its surprising tbh, but they all leave and I think that is due to the lack of activity on the server, if I joined an empty server I wouldnt stay for long cus I had no one to talk to, but that's just my opinion and I can be completely wrong. I think if some of our staff would make a little efford to be on more often just to welcome new players it would help a bit.

I agree, I try to be active on the server but my point is more about new players not having anything to do. Yes if no one is on then new players will just leave, but people who aren't new also don't have much of an incentive to play; more things to do on the server would make people want to play regardless of if they're new or not. Some of these ideas are already in motion and just need some time, but the future of the Chaotic United Minecraft server depends on having those new players staying, which depends on more things to do.

I understand what u're saying but like I said before, to play those minigames u need people on. When I go play survival online, I wanna chat and trade with people, otherwise I could just play singleplayer, that's why I'm saying we need to make a bit of efford to spend more time online.

Minigames are something we plan to introduce a bit more when we relaunch on 1.12.

A lot of work on the current server in terms of new gamemodes and features is generally going to be held off until that point as to give the relaunch as much substance as possible.

On 8/5/2017 at 8:04 PM, HeyImJ0hn said:

I understand what u're saying but like I said before, to play those minigames u need people on. When I go play survival online, I wanna chat and trade with people, otherwise I could just play singleplayer, that's why I'm saying we need to make a bit of efford to spend more time online.

This is the delimma we face here when trying to make an MC server active. You need to have players in order to keep new ones. So far this has been accomplished in what i consider to be a fairly weak fashion, by offering the same 3-4 modes since 2014. I'll be the first to admit that our current gamemode selection is beyond weak and is about as generic and boring as you can get.

The real key to getting CU more popular imo is to have more unique gamemodes, and a perfect idea that's been sent my way numerous times is an RPG mode.

I actually talked with AlexZeroHour about it and basically the great thing about an RPG mode is that, if executed properly, it can be a mode that is fun both on your own and with friends. This is key because, unlike basic survival MC, you can't just play a polished and superb RPG mode in SP. If one exists it should also be made to be difficult if not impossible to recreate on your own with a local server or wtv. The key is to make it where you can only find this experience on CU MC and not a single place else. That way, even if we dont have a ton of people on at first, people can still have a blast and then proceed to get their friends on, and then it just snowballs from there. Maybe they check out other modes, maybe they dont.

The big roadblock with this RPG mode is the fact that you're spending weeks, months, maybe even a year or more on this single gamemode. It is a huge investment in time that can be so easily fucked up by either a shit story, buggy features, server crashes, and so on. This so far has been the big roadblock and wall to an RPG mode. If we were to do it right (and we actually fukin advertise) imo itd be almost guarunteed to get people on. May take a while but its almost guarunteed to happen eventually. The other roadblock is just having the hardware to run it. The current CU server even on an 8gb vps has struggled for a while with memory issues. We aren't old CU with a 24GB dedi for everything and then some, we have been squeezing by with an 8gb vps. That VPS also runs the TS3, WakaUnited, WakaElaztek, and Jinux discord bots. Granted all of those are relatively light in terms of using resources so its very negligible, but its something to keep in mind. This RPG mode would honestly need its own server more than likely, and (for now) we don't have the resources to obtain it. The only way we even have Brink of Chaos after all this time is michael being a champion and letting CU use the Elaztek dedicated server (which hosts some of Elaztek's gameservers and i believe the Gitlab as well).

That being said, let me jump start this topic back up with a question, what do you guys think about an RPG mode? A lot of the feedback for it has been a good while in the past or has been from alycat. Or if you think RPG is either stupid or just too much of a risk/challenge to do, what are some other modes you feel would help keep players enticed to stick around? What do we give them to do to keep them online and coming back?

19 hours ago, haloman30 said:

Minigames are something we plan to introduce a bit more when we relaunch on 1.12.

A lot of work on the current server in terms of new gamemodes and features is generally going to be held off until that point as to give the relaunch as much substance as possible.

This is the delimma we face here when trying to make an MC server active. You need to have players in order to keep new ones. So far this has been accomplished in what i consider to be a fairly weak fashion, by offering the same 3-4 modes since 2014. I'll be the first to admit that our current gamemode selection is beyond weak and is about as generic and boring as you can get.

The real key to getting CU more popular imo is to have more unique gamemodes, and a perfect idea that's been sent my way numerous times is an RPG mode.

I actually talked with AlexZeroHour about it and basically the great thing about an RPG mode is that, if executed properly, it can be a mode that is fun both on your own and with friends. This is key because, unlike basic survival MC, you can't just play a polished and superb RPG mode in SP. If one exists it should also be made to be difficult if not impossible to recreate on your own with a local server or wtv. The key is to make it where you can only find this experience on CU MC and not a single place else. That way, even if we dont have a ton of people on at first, people can still have a blast and then proceed to get their friends on, and then it just snowballs from there. Maybe they check out other modes, maybe they dont.

The big roadblock with this RPG mode is the fact that you're spending weeks, months, maybe even a year or more on this single gamemode. It is a huge investment in time that can be so easily ♥♥♥♥ed up by either a shit story, buggy features, server crashes, and so on. This so far has been the big roadblock and wall to an RPG mode. If we were to do it right (and we actually fukin advertise) imo itd be almost guarunteed to get people on. May take a while but its almost guarunteed to happen eventually. The other roadblock is just having the hardware to run it. The current CU server even on an 8gb vps has struggled for a while with memory issues. We aren't old CU with a 24GB dedi for everything and then some, we have been squeezing by with an 8gb vps. That VPS also runs the TS3, WakaUnited, WakaElaztek, and Jinux discord bots. Granted all of those are relatively light in terms of using resources so its very negligible, but its something to keep in mind. This RPG mode would honestly need its own server more than likely, and (for now) we don't have the resources to obtain it. The only way we even have Brink of Chaos after all this time is michael being a champion and letting CU use the Elaztek dedicated server (which hosts some of Elaztek's gameservers and i believe the Gitlab as well).

That being said, let me jump start this topic back up with a question, what do you guys think about an RPG mode? A lot of the feedback for it has been a good while in the past or has been from alycat. Or if you think RPG is either stupid or just too much of a risk/challenge to do, what are some other modes you feel would help keep players enticed to stick around? What do we give them to do to keep them online and coming back?

I think that can be a great idea, it will for sure attract new players, the worst thing that can happen is not getting as many new players as we want. There's really nothing to lose here so u should go ahead and start with that.

I suggest u make a forum post talking about the RPG and add a poll.

5 hours ago, HeyImJ0hn said:

I think that can be a great idea, it will for sure attract new players, the worst thing that can happen is not getting as many new players as we want. There's really nothing to lose here so u should go ahead and start with that.

I suggest u make a forum post talking about the RPG and add a poll.

Technically there is something that can be lost, which is time and effort. An RPG mode that works as i describe would take as i said, months or even a year to develop. If something like that is launched and people just dont give a shit and only care about classic CU survival stuff then well, thats a years worth of work wasted down the drain. I have made polls before about it and usually it has been voted up so maybe :thinking: