Become a premium member to remove ads
haloman30

CU Updates #17 - Brink of Chaos, Lack of Movement, and Future Plans

8 posts in this topic

Howdy folks. How about we do something for a change and make an announcement, yeah?

First of all, as you saw in Discord, we are working to try and bring back Modded MC via whatever means necessary. Vanilla MC, fun as it is, just can't quite match the experience that modded MC brings to the table. So, we are going to try and bring modded back. We are asking for each and every one of you to suggest your favorite mods. Keep in mind that not every suggestion will be implemented due to either being redundant to an existing mod, compatibility/stability issues, etc. We also want to try and ensure the pack continues to be playable on lower end PC's to some degree (that degree being around the 30fps mark) and thus we can't take the pack up to 200+ mods as it would simply require too much memory to run. That being said, there is no fixed mod limit really, and if you suggest a mod that we think just HAS to be in the pack, then you can bet it will be added if at all possible.

Now let's address the elephant in the room. The fact that CU has basically been a ghost town since April 23. For those of you who weren't around during that time, we had some issues with staff being very much against one of the heads of the community (Alycat) who is also a near and dear friend of mine. This went on for several months starting initially on January 29th and finally coming to a close April 23. Several of our staff, including higher up admins, left CU and now most are camped out on Elaztek Studios. Since that point, I have been working basically full time to get Elaztek up and running. I will still be putting a lot of energy towards it of course, however I want to start to get CU moving again. Right now, the folks that left CU and Elaztek are sitting around laughing at us - and for good reason. We have sat here doing jack for two months. Some may even have the idea that they were what made CU great (although it couldn't be further from the truth). I think it is high time to get things moving again. We have a staff team that has no issues with itself, and in a way I believe that the events that happened may have not been so terrible as they seemed at first. I think that CU in the state that it is in now lends itself to big opportunities going forward. We have a clean slate to work on. We can experiment and try new things and see what works and what doesn't, and thus you may or may not see features periodically being added and removed from our vanilla server. You won't see this at first as we are working on modded MC at the moment, but after modded gets settled in you can expect to see some changes being done for MC.

We have several plans for the future of CU. Without going into details, we want to expand beyond just hosting a vanilla MC server - and beyond hosting servers in general. While we won't stop hosting servers of course, we want to try new things as well. In addition, our MC server will be featuring some new stuff in the coming months as well, including but not limited to:

• Reamped to the Advertiser rank system
  • Purge Apocalypse gamemode, a CR idea that involves defending against hordes of mobs while also defending against other players as well. See the post below for more information on that.
  • Trackerzine, a new minigame that involves riding a minecart and placing tracks to eventually reach the center (or other end point). First one to the goal wins. This can be 'previewed' if you will in the creative world, where Alycat built a sort of concept arena for it. Hit aly up for more details on how the mode will work and such and to get an idea of how it plays.

Information on Purge Apocalypse: 

On 2/16/2017 at 4:19 AM, alycat said:

- The Purge apocalypse
There are a set of teams on the  server (We could have a custom built map or several maps for this) where they fight each other and the hordes of monsters that come in waves each round, the teams use there surroundings to deafened them selves whether its a fort near by or its what ever, they have a limited time to create a fort and gather weapons before the wave begins, different teams are in different areas, the last standing team or last standing player wins, as this is a purge based game just because your on teams doesn't mean you cant kill each other and steal the fame for yourself.

Keep in mind that some ideas may or may not be altered to better fit into a coherent gamemode.

So that's about it folks, don't leave us just yet. Because we have a lot of stuff in store for the future.

Super siked for this coming update! I love the idea of a modded mc server and I will definitely check it out. Although the CU un-modded server will still be the home of most of my game play. Ever since I joined I have been wondering why such a wonderfully made server doesn't have more players, but I still enjoyed CU anyways because when people did come on they were someone to talk to. 

Maybe a pixelmon mod pack? That may be too intensive though. :o

Those new games on the CU server seem very cool, I have not heard of much and I have been playing minigames for a long time now. Can't wait to try it out!

~Meta

20 hours ago, Metalic_Shield said:

Super siked for this coming update! I love the idea of a modded mc server and I will definitely check it out. Although the CU un-modded server will still be the home of most of my game play. Ever since I joined I have been wondering why such a wonderfully made server doesn't have more players, but I still enjoyed CU anyways because when people did come on they were someone to talk to. 

Maybe a pixelmon mod pack? That may be too intensive though. :o

Those new games on the CU server seem very cool, I have not heard of much and I have been playing minigames for a long time now. Can't wait to try it out!

~Meta

That's because both of them are 100% original ideas thought up here at home :^)

As for the lack of players, it is mainly due to the lack of advertisement and whatnot, and I also attribute it to the fact that we have had the same 3-4 modes since 2014. Going forward we plan to remedy that by adding new gamemodes as seen above as well as some more well known ones, and by the overhauled advertising system I mentioned.

Always gotta love original minigame ideas! Don't see it very often anymore :/

I think adding a few more game modes would be great for the server. If it was advertised a bit more I think lots more people would come because everyone is so awesome on here. Everyone always talks when they are on and are always willing to help out. Those qualities in players make others want to stay, that is why I stayed when I found this place a little over a month ago. Once again I can't wait for the future! :)

I am glad you made yourself at home thats my goal for each and every player that joins; to provide them the experience that drove me and haloman30 here today. I will be brainstorming on more ideas. 

To add on to what haloman30 said as far as the advertiser rank system being reamped. It will provide a way for our members to earn the ranks without having to get them through donating which is a win win senerio if you ask me becaus we grow bigger, you guys gain more perms with a cool amazing title to make others jelous with, as we grow it provides more people more opportunity to make more friends as they go. Strap yourself in for the ride because I have you one hell of a show.

13 minutes ago, alycat said:

To add on to what haloman30 said as far as the advertiser rank system being reamped. It will provide a way for our members to earn the ranks without having to get them through donating which is a win win senerio if you ask me becaus we grow bigger, you guys gain more perms with a cool amazing title to make others jelous with, as we grow it provides more people more opportunity to make more friends as they go. Strap yourself in for the ride because I have you one hell of a show.

NOT TOO MANY DETAILS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA