Become a premium member to remove ads
Atomicbeast101

Personal Server Uses

5 posts in this topic

Hey! I just recently got myself a real server from someone while in college. I am currently figuring out what other ways I can use the server for. Right now, I have plans to setup a private cloud storage and maybe Adobe rendering engine (needs more research). Now, I'm asking you guys to give me ideas on what I can use it for. (Remember the server is on campus network so it's gotta be appropriate and no gaming servers.)

Here's the specs of the server:

• 2x Intel Xeon 2.0GHz Quad-Core CPUs
  • 4x 2GB DDR3 ECC RAM
  • 2x 500GB HDD
  • DVD Drive

Torrent alk the things? ;)

But seriously, render host might be best for certain projects that're in the pipeline. Cloud storage is only good if you've got appropriate control over access etc. 

You could always turn it into a pre boot encrypted VM host...

• Make it a torrent machine with a torrent client that supports a "black hole" function meaning it'll scan a certain folder for torrent files and automatically download those detected.
  • Download automation.
    • CouchPotato downloads movies automatically, easily and in the best quality as soon as they are available.
    • SickBeard Automatically finds new and old episodes for you and it works with your current download client!
    • SickRage Automatic Video Library Manager for TV Shows. It watches for new episodes of your favorite shows, and when they are posted it does its magic.
    • Sonarr is a PVR for Usenet and BitTorrent users.
    • FlexGet is a multipurpose automation tool for content like torrents, nzbs, podcasts, comics, series, movies, etc.
    • sabnzbd makes Usenet as simple and streamlined as possible by automating everything we can.
    • nzbget is a binary downloader, which downloads files from Usenet based on information given in nzb-files.
    • headphones is an automated music downloader for NZB and Torrent, written in Python. It supports SABnzbd, NZBget, Transmission, µTorrent and Blackhole.
  • Host a VPN with OpenVPN.
  • Host your own git with Gogs, this is possibly extremely useful for you.
  • Transform it into a router with pfSense.
  • Host your own cloud with something like owncloud.
  • LAMP, you know what it is.

Most of these suggestions come straight from the resource collection on the homelab subreddit. This list is also worth spitting through.