Become a premium member to remove ads
haloman30

CU Updates #24 - Housekeeping

1 post in this topic

So, just yesterday (or earlier today?) I made an announcement on Discord telling people that Factions would be removed in a week if it wasn't played. So far, I've had 0 people asking to keep it and several people asking for its removal - so that's what's happening today.

After talking with @Windwhistle a bit last night, I came to the realization that having as many modes as we do may in a sense actually cause more issues. His suggestion was to remove every single gamemode except for Survival - something I am not willing to go through with (unless you guys want it), and while I find that to be very extreme, we are going to dial back our focus on minigames and whatnot and instead focus on the things that made CU great to begin with, primarily survival.

Starting today, 2 modes are being removed from the server: Factions and The Arena. Let's go into more detail as to why.

The biggest common reason is just that nobody touches it. If I go into any of the other 3 main gamemodes, it's clear that they are all played. From creative spawn, you can go outside and see tons of creations all over the place. Survival, too, has plenty of builds attached to the spawn itself, and more as you go further out. SkyBlock, you can see several islands from the spawn area. But when I go into the factions world, the only clear change from when it was created was a small wooden wall right on the edge of spawn:67d05095b34fe900ce3c8988ea7ce982.jpg

Additionally, there were only 2 factions that existed that had any members at all. The Arena also had this issue, plus the added bonus of being either outright broken.The original plan was to get a custom plugin to replace the pile of garbage one we had before, but that never happened. We hope to one day revisit the idea when we have more resources to work with (and maybe a paid dev or two), but for now it was just creating clutter.

Now as a reminder, Factions can be readded - exactly as they were - if there is demand. It would take nothing more than a couple small config edits and a quick server restart to bring them both back. But, if the demand isn't there, they won't be returning.

Now, for those of you with a craving for PvP, we have introduced a feature that some old CU folk should remember: /pvp. In either Survival or Skyblock, you can now do /pvp to enable or disable PVP. If you and another player want to PvP, you both just need to enable PvP.

Below, you can read the full changelog for this server update (it's not that long).

Be sure to give us your thoughts and feelings on these changes with a reply to the topic!